Adapted from Shepherd, Plate 97
Yellow- Diocese of Exeter
Bishophric moved from Crediton to Exeter under Bishop Leofric in 1050.
Present cathedral begun by Bishop William Warelwast, nephew of William
the Conqueror, who was made bishop in 1107. He built the two transept towers
now extant. The whole building was probably finished ca 1150.
New choir begun in 1288, by Bishop Quivil
Nave replaced by Bishop John Grandison in the fourteenth century
Dimensions External Length 409 ft. Breadth of Nave 72 feet, Height of vaulting
68 feet, length of Transept, 138 feet. (from Fairbairns, p 52)
Noted for the artistry of its woodwork- Choir Stalls, Misericords, etc.
A large number of medieval "fabric rolls" - expense accounts
for maintaining and improving the building itself, are extant at Exeter,
making it an especially important source for learning exactly how medieval
cathedrals were built and maintained.